- What does continent mean? The continents of the world
- The continent or the mainland is the large pieces of land that make up the earth.
- There is no single standard that identifies the continent, so different cultures and sciences have different lists of what to interpret as continents. In general, a continent must be large-area, not submerged, and have significant geological boundaries. Some consider it to be four or six continents at most, while the most common use counts seven continents. But it is commonly known as the seven continents. Some see Africa, Europe and Asia as places of Eurasia, but this is not a separate continent, as you might think, it is only the nickname of that region.
- The seven continents of the world are:
- North America
- South America
- Australia (Oceania)
- The (intermediate) continents that are said to be separate:
|Continent||Notes||Area (km²)||Area (mi²)||small;”>Percent
|Africa||Includes the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt.||30,370,000||11,730,000||20.4%||1,186,178,000||16.1%||Lagos, Nigeria|
|Antarctica||Population is non-permanent and varies.||13,720,000||5,300,000||9.2%||4,490||0.0%||McMurdo Station|
|Asia||Includes East Thrace (Turkey) and Western New Guinea (Indonesia), excludes Russia and Egypt.||43,820,000||16,920,000||29.5%||4,393,296,000||59.8%||Shanghai, China|
|Europe||Includes Asiatic Russia, excludes Turkey.||10,180,000||3,930,000||6.8%||738,442,000||10.0%||Moscow, Russia|
|North America||Includes Central America and the Caribbean.||24,490,000||9,460,000||16.5%||573,777,000||7.8%||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Australia||Excludes Indonesia.||9,008,500||3,478,200||5.9%||39,331,000||0.5%||Sydney, Australia|
|South America||17,840,000||6,890,000||12.0%||418,447,000||5.7%||São Paulo, Brazil|